Re: LOD for historical humanities information about people and texts

On 1/16/14 11:50 AM, WILDER, COLIN wrote:

> To the many people who have kindly responded to my recent email:
>
> Thanks for your suggestions and clarifying questions. To explain a bit
> better, we have a data curation platform called RL, which is a large,
> complex web-based MySQL database designed for users to be able to
> simply input, store and share data about social and textual networks
> with each other, or to share it globally in RL's data commons. The
> data involved are individual data items, such as info about one
> person's name, age, a book title, a specific social relationship, etc.
> The entity types (in the ordinary-language sense of actors and
> objects, not in the database tabular sense) can be seen at
> http://tundra.csd.sc.edu/rol/browse.php. The data commons in RL is
> basically a subset of user data that users have elected (irrevocably)
> to share with all other users of the system. NB there is a lot of
> dummy data in the data commons right now because of testing.
>
> We are designing an expansion of RL's functionality so as to publish
> data from the data commons as LOD, so I am doing some preliminary work
> to assess feasibility and fit by matching up /our/ entity types with
> RDF /vocabularies/. Here is what I have so far. First are the
> entity(ies) and relationships, followed by the appropriate vocabularies:
>
> 1.Persons, social relations: *FOAF*, *BIO*. The "Catalogus Professorum
> Lipsiensis" or *CPL*
> (http://svn.aksw.org/papers/2010/ISWC_CP/public.pdf) looks enormously
> useful for connecting academics (people), their relations and their
> books.  But, I cannot seem to get any info page or specification page
> to load, making me worry that it's dead.
>
> 2.Membership in organizations: *ORG*
>
> 3.Enrollment in an academic course (e.g. a lecture course): ??? maybe
> use a *RDF container or RDF collection type* of resource to list all
> students enrolled in a certain course?
>
> 4.Travel: ??? We are trying to encode trips, in which one or more
> people leave one place at one time and arrive at another place at
> another time. This thus links people, places and times.
>
> 5.Texts -- i.e. old editions of books and manuscripts: *Dublin Core,
> Bibframe*. Use *FRBR* to distinguish sub- and pre-edition levels of
> manuscripts, works and ideas.
>
> 6.Relationship among texts, including intertexts and citations:
> *Bibliographic ontology (Bibo)*
>
> 7.Collections of texts in historical library catalogs, e.g. from
> centuries ago: the *DC Collection AP*. Maybe also the *Bibliographic
> Reference Ontology (BiRO)*?
>
> My understanding is that the *Linked Open Vocabulary cloud (LOV)* is a
> useful tool for finding relevant ontologies. The *Vocabulary of
> Interlinked Datasets (VoID)* seems more like underlying infrastructure
> -- the tool to translate and link data items in a dataset written in
> one vocabulary to data items in a set written in another.

VoiD is a vocabulary comprised of terms used to describe datasets [1][2].

[1] http://vocab.deri.ie/void/ -- Vocabulary of Interlinked Datasets (VoiD)
[2] http://bit.ly/1j9ij0P -- Dataset description from my glossary of terms .

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software