Re: [Ann] WebVOWL 0.3 - Visualize your ontology on the web

Kingsley, Timothy, Sarven, Melvin, Ali,

On 22.12.2014 16:20, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> I just want the URI of the current node in the graph to be a live link
> i.e., an exit point from the visualization tool to the actual source.
> You offer something close to this in the side panel, but its scoped to
> the entire ontology rather than a selected term.
>
> I am suggesting you make the selected node text e.g., "Tagging" an
> HTTP URI (hyperlink) via <a href="http://purl.org/muto/core#Tagging
> ">Tagging</a> .
>
> [1] http://susepaste.org/36507989 -- screenshot showing what's
> currently offered

The URI and link is already there! The labels in the "Selection Details"
(e.g., "Tagging") are hyperlinks that you can click on to go to the
actual URIs. As it does not seem to be that clear (and the hyperlink URI
may not be properly shown in all web browsers), we already discussed to
add further tooltips with the URIs in the GUI.

On 22.12.2014 17:26, Timothy W. Cook wrote:
> You call it the label, Protege calls it the Description and in RDF/XML
> it is the URI fragment after the # symbol in the rdf:about attribute.
> So, I am not exactly sure what it is supposed to be called, I call it
> the 'name'​; for what shows up in the tooltip.  Which is exactly the
> same thing as what is in the circle, rectangle, etc. on the page.

We display the "rdfs:label" of the elements in the language that is
selected in the sidebar. If "IRI-based" is selected as language, the
label is generated from the last part of the URI. The tooltips with the
full label are helpful in cases where long labels are abbreviated in the
visualization.

> In the sidebar 'Description' I do have a dc:description inside
> the owl:Ontology definition.  However, it doesn't display in WebVOWL.

Usually, the dc:description annotation for the ontology is shown in the
sidebar. Here is an example where it works:
http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/webvowl/#iri=http://purl.org/muto/core

> But my question was about the possibility of displaying (in tooltip or
> sidebar) other Dublin Core metadata for each class and property.  This
> would be really great documentation about the ontology being viewed.

We plan to add additional elements to the selection details. Dublin Core
is a candidate here, even though we cannot consider all possible
vocabularies (remember that VOWL has mainly been designed for OWL and
not for Dublin Core, SKOS, etc.). We will try to find a more generic
approach of considering metadata in the future.

On 23.12.2014 02:53, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> The standard ? is a way of creating a "cool" URI that can be shared
> bookmarked etc.
>
> The # character in HTTP is unfortunately overloaded to do a few
> things, which often causes confusion.  Primarily linked data people
> should be aware that the # character is a mechanism to point to linked
> data inside a document (frag ids).  It can be used in a few other ways
> sure, but I think in this case the motivation for hiding the query
> from the server is not high.
>
> You can even let the server ignore the query string in this case and
> just have the split function detect ('#') or ('?')

Thanks for your comments on that. We actually call the server in the
background to process the ontology files, as we use our OWL2VOWL
converter here that is based on Java and the OWL API.

Using '?' for the requested ontology IRI and '#' for a part of it (e.g.,
a selected class) sounds quite canonical to me. Will be an issue for the
next WebVOWL version (but not for the next couple of days ;-) ).

On 22.12.2014 14:01, Ali ABBASSENE wrote:
> Is there any open-source version of WebVOWL ? Or any stencil of SVG files for the VOWL graphical representation ?
> Because I am planning to implement a VOWL enabled editor under the versatile modeler Oryx-editor (https://code.google.com/p/oryx-editor/).

I am glad to hear that. Feel free to use VOWL for your editor, which
comes with a creative commons license.

WebVOWL is open source! It is released under the MIT license. The files
are available at http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/webvowl.html#installation

The visual language itself (VOWL 2) is specified at
http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/v2 . The specification contains the SVG
code of all VOWL elements (+ style information in a separate CSS).

Just go ahead! I am looking forward to the result.

Cheers,
Steffen

--
Dr. Steffen Lohmann . Visualization and Interactive Systems (VIS)
University of Stuttgart . Universitaetstrasse 38 . D-70569 Stuttgart