Re: Is SPIN still a valid direction?

On Fri, 2014-12-19 at 17:33 +0000, Antonino Lo Bue wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm wondering if someone from the list could make a clear point on SPIN
> adoption and usage status. I'm planning to use it in my research work to
> model SPARQL inferencing on Open data->Linked open data workflows , but I
> have heard that something new is coming and would/could replace SPIN with
> a more flexible language.
> Is this the case and so I could risk to work with outdated and legacy
> stuff? Or do you encourage the adoption?

See also [1], an email thread from 2 years ago on similar topic. Since
then I have adopted RIF for my practical work of capturing business
rules and translating them into SPARQL. Some of the gaps between RIF and
SPARQL are discussed in [2]. I do not (at this time) do any logical
processing of the RIF source; however, to fill some of the syntactical
gaps I adopt portions of the SPIN vocabulary as RIF externals (for
instance, to express SPARQL property paths in RIF).

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2013Jan/0136.html
[2] http://www.polleres.net/presentations/20120913Datalog20_Tutorial.pdf

Regards,
--Paul