Re: [Ann] WebVOWL 0.3 - Visualize your ontology on the web

On 12/19/14 10:49 AM, Steffen Lohmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we are glad to announce the release of WebVOWL 0.3, which integrates
> our OWL2VOWL converter now. WebVOWL works in modern web browsers
> without any installation so that ontologies can be instantly
> visualized. Check it out at: http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/webvowl.html
>
> To the best of our knowledge, WebVOWL is the first comprehensive
> ontology visualization completely based on open web standards (HTML,
> SVG, CSS, JavaScript). It implements VOWL 2, which has been designed
> in a user-oriented process and is clearly specified at
> http://vowl.visualdataweb.org (incl. references to scientific papers).
>
> Please note that:
> - WebVOWL is a tool for ontology visualization, not for ontology
> modeling.
> - VOWL considers many language constructs of OWL but not all of them yet.
> - VOWL focuses on the visualization of the TBox of small to
> medium-size ontologies but does not sufficiently support the
> visualization of very large ontologies and detailed ABox information
> for the time being.
> - WebVOWL 0.3 implements the VOWL 2 specification nearly completely,
> but the current version of the OWL2VOWL converter does not.
> These issues are subject to future work.
>
> Have fun with it!
>
> On behalf of the VOWL team,
> Steffen

Great job! Clearly "when it rains, it pours!"

Lot's of great Linked Data visualizations are now popping up everywhere,
just what we all needed.

Question:

Would you be able to make HTTP URIs that identify terms defined by a
selected ontology live? For instance, if I am exploring FOAF, and I
click on the foaf:Agent node, I should have an HTTP URI anchoring the
text "Agent [FOAF]" which then makes that node a live LOD Cloud conduit.
I notice you provide this capability via "selection details", but I
don't think most will realize its existence.

In addition to the suggestion above, do you have a permalink feature
that makes any visualization doc shareable via HTTP URLs ?

Finally, what about connecting your "custom ontology" feature to
prefix.cc [1] and LOV [2] ?

Links:

[1] http://prefix.cc
[2] http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/