Re: Microsoft OLE

Thanks Paul,
> On 15 Dec 2014, at 19:07, Paul Houle <ontology2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Most Windows programmers would instantiate OLE objects in the applications and query them to get results;
Ah, the first problem - I’m not a Windows programmer :-)
In fact, I want to access OLE-published stuff without any need to have knowledge of Windows at all.
http resolution to IIS or Apache running on the Windows machine seemed like a good choice.
> commonly people write XML or JSON APIs,  but writing RDF wouldn't be too different.
>
> The next step up is to have a theory that converts OLE data structures to and from RDF either in general or in a specific case with help from a schema.  Microsoft invested a lot in making SOAP work well with OLE,  so you might do best with a SOAP to RDF mapping.
So yes - a service that did some mapping from the retrieved OLE data structure to RDF; and a general one was what I was thinking of.

The incoming URI would be interpretable as an OLE data object (I guess with some server config), which then got fetched and converted to RDF.
In fact, it seems an obvious way of exposing Word docs, Excel spreadsheets and even Access DBs live, but there is probably some stuff I don’t understand that means it is crazy.

I suspect the silence (except you and Barry) means that this isn’t something anyone has done, at least yet.

Best
Hugh