Re: ANN: datos.bne.es, the new Linked Data service from the National Library of Spain

On 12/3/14 7:13 AM, Daniel Vila Suero wrote:

> My understanding is that an agent should only use the Location to
> retrieve more data (a representation of a resource). Given a canonical
> URI to name the entity (http://datos.bne.es/resource/XX1000054), an
> agent can try to dereference it, asking for a concrete representation
> that he understands (e.g., turtle) and what it gets back is a LOCATION
> with a Turtle representation of the entity in question, that it's
> described in terms of canonical URIs (e.g.,
> http://datos.bne.es/resource/XX1000054 a frbr:Person; rdfs:label
> "Richard"). The agent then can follow his nose using these URIs to
> retrieve more data (in the RDF representations we only use canonical
> URIs not Locations).
>
> We have tried to follow existing best practices (ISA guidelines [1]
> mention for example the pattern /id/ --> /doc/), but we are open to
> suggestions from the community on how to improve content-negotiation
> mechanisms because our goal is to make the data useful for application
> developers.

Here is a Vapor Report [1]. Hopefully, it sheds light on this matter:

[1] http://bit.ly/spanish-national-library-sample-entity-uri-report --
Vapour Report to shows whats happening (conclusion: nothing wrong).

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com