Re: ANN: datos.bne.es, the new Linked Data service from the National Library of Spain

On 03/12/2014 11:19, Daniel Vila Suero wrote:
> Dear Richard,
>
> Thank you very much for the very quick feedback :-)
>
> El 03/12/14 11:56, Richard Light escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I try to dereference a work:
>>
>> http://datos.bne.es/edicion/Mimo0000379726
>>
>> it does the correct 303 redirects based on content type, but I get an
>> empty result for both Turtle and RDF/XML.
>>
>> For authors:
>>
>> http://datos.bne.es/autor/XX1000054
>>
>> there is some data, but it contains no links to the author's works,
>> so it isn't very "Linked Data".
>
> There is problably some mismatch between the data feeding the content
> negotiation and the data feeding the portal due to the recent updates
> we made, we will look more in detail into this. It is not an issue of
> not being linked data, if we have links presents will give them back
> to you in both views HTML and RDF flavours as in:
> http://datos.bne.es/autor/XX1020842.ttl and
> http://datos.bne.es/autor/XX1020842.html
Ah, so you can do it for Shakespeare, but not for me. :-) My HTML (see
above) has a link to the work Museum Documentation Systems, but the
Turtle doesn't.

>> Also, there seems to be some confusion in the URL pattern: the
>> subject URL within the RDF is http://datos.bne.es/resource/XX1000054,
>> i.e. "resource" replaces "autor".
> We have kept the canonical URIs for things that we published in
> previous versions: http://datos.bne.es/resource/ which correspond to
> non-information resources and use the 303 mechanism to provide
> different representations, in this case changing to a typed URI
> pattern + the file extension, this was motivated to support nicer URIs
> for the human-oriented content of the portal and its similar to
> patterns like the one used in DBpedia where they do /resource/ -->
> /page/ or /resource/ --> /data/ + the file extension for RDF
> representations.
Having recently finished "Linked Data for Libraries, Archives and
Museums" (van Hooland and Verborgh), I am newly enthused about the
application of a proper REST approach.  To conform to this, I think, the
URLs quoted when a resource is dereferenced should be compatible with
the URL itself.  Otherwise, won't machine agents attempting to use these
URLs to navigate become confused?

Richard

> Thank you very much for your comments, they help us to improve the
> service.
>
> Daniel
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> On 03/12/2014 10:11, Daniel Vila Suero wrote:
>>> The *National Library of Spain* (BNE) (www.bne.es
>>> <http://www.bne.es>) and the *Ontology Engineering Group*
>>> (www.oeg-upm.net <http://www.oeg-upm.net>) are glad to announce the
>>> new *datos.bne.es <http://datos.bne.es>
>>> (http://datos.bne.es)* Linked Data service (in Spanish).
>>>
>>> This new service represents a milestone of the Linked Data project
>>> started by the end of 2011 and that already published*Linked Open
>>> Data under a Public Domain license* (Creative Commons CC0). We have
>>> been working to improve many aspects of the service and would like
>>> to share with you some *key features*:
>>>
>>> *A new way to search, discover and explore*
>>> *-------------------------------------------------------------*
>>>
>>> The new (beta) portal exploits linked data *to create better
>>> experiences for the user*. A graph with millions of new connections
>>> allows the user to explore the collections comprehensively and
>>> across three core entities: authors, works and topics. The search
>>> engine (e.g., http://datos.bne.es/find?s=joyce
>>> <http://datos.bne.es/find?s=joyce>) also uses this graph to retrieve
>>> and rank entities, presenting relevant information to the user and
>>> allowing for simple, easy-to-use faceting.
>>>
>>> Besides, we continue to offer a public SPARQL endpoint
>>> (http://datos.bne.es/sparql) for people to query and use the data
>>> for their own applications, content negotiation, and we also provide

--
*Richard Light*