Re: Generate LOD cloud diagram image

Dear all,

at the Open Linguistics Working Group, we faced a similar problem when generating the Linguistic Linked Open Data cloud diagram (http://linguistics.okfn..org/resources/llod/) and we actually tried to use Richard's scripts at some point. However, as we didn't have too many Mac users among the people active in the group, we eventually began developing our own alternative, available under https://github.com/jmccrae/llod-cloud.py.

It creates a GraphML (not layouted, yet) for selected Datahub.io entries, categorized according to domain-specific categories. Using yed's (http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html) "organic" layout, a reasonable representation can be achieved which is then manually brought in shape with yed (positioning) and  XML (font adjustment). In yed, we augment it with a legend and text and then export it into the graphic format of choice.

We would have liked to employ Richard's script directly, as its output is visually slightly more appealing, but in order to remain independent from proprietary software that we simply didn't have at the moment, we designed this semiautomatic alternative. In any case, I presume the software and the workflow can be easily adapted for other diagrams of this type.

Best,
Christian