Contd: Relationship between People and Social Network Services

On 4/11/14 3:12 PM, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> ... according to http://dbpedia.org/data/HTTPRange-14.n3
>
> We already knew it was turtles all the way down, but this is *news*.
>
> Thanks to danbri for the pointer discovered in a side discussion about
> a raging debate (too serious for a Friday evening) [1]
>
> Have a great week-end.
>
> [1] https://plus.google.com/+BernardVatant/posts/aRnC6wnZ9J5
> --

Bernard,

I've changed the topic from "httpRange-14 is an empty Turtle ..."
because the content of this post relates to a thread on the vocab list
that I opened under the heading "Relationship between People and Social
Network Services". I've also cc'd the list so as to save time re-posting
the same content, later on.

Dan's example in HTML+Microdata (which by notation choice
*inadvertently* blurs visibility of the relation semantics in play) :

     (<a itemprop="url"
href="http://www.stephenfry.com/">stephenfry.com</a>,
      <a itemprop="sameAs" href="http://twitter.com/stephenfry">twitter</a>,
<a itemprop="sameAs"
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry">wikipedia</a>)

Turtle (with premature @prefix optimization) translation:

@prefix md: <http://www.w3.org/ns/md#> .
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfa: <http://www.w3.org/ns/rdfa#> .
@prefix schema: <http://schema.org/> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .

<> md:item [
        a schema:Person;
        schema:name "Stephen Fry";
        schema:sameAs <http://twitter.com/stephenfry>,
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry>;
        schema:url <http://www.stephenfry.com/>
      ];
    rdfa:usesVocabulary schema: .

Turtle translation (without premature @prefix optimization) which brings
the subject, predicate, object sentence/statement structure to the fore,
so the function of language (system of signs (denotation), syntax
(statement construction), and semantics (meaning of entity relations)
has better visibility:

<> <http://www.w3.org/ns/md#item> [
        <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
<http://schema.org/Person>;
        <http://schema.org/name> "Stephen Fry";
        <http://schema.org/sameAs> <http://twitter.com/stephenfry>,
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry>;
        <http://schema.org/url> <http://www.stephenfry.com/>
      ];
<http://www.w3.org/ns/rdfa#usesVocabulary> <http://schema.org/> .

This really simply shows that Schema.org -- and the practices it
promotes -- are a useful bridge across:

1. Basic Structured Data -- denotation
2. Linked Data -- denotation matters but not to the point of
disambiguation and referent meaning lookup via name->address indirection
3. RDF based Linked Data -- denotation and other entity relation
semantics (i.e., RDF semantics) matter here when constructing document
content.

Remember, AWWW is  "horses for courses" and "agree to disagree, without
malice" compliant, so I confidently claim that these Web technology
related endeavors are collectively useful, but on their own, eternally
limited. Thus, lets connect these puzzle pieces en route to Web++

What does Dan's example demonstrate?

The function of a *pronoun* in a sentence or statement. Basically, he
doesn't introduce the dreaded "blank node" term, he simply uses its
functionality (as he did eons ago with FOAF). Personally, I wouldn't
denote a predicate for this relation, in this manner, due to the
*equivalence* intuition -- bearing in mind that Schema.org is a useful
bridge. Instead, I would look to use something like :referencedBy (or
anything else that doesn't have "same" in it).

Dan's example makes the following claim, using terms from
<http://schema.org/> (a Vocabulary):

Someone or something has determined the existence of an entity that has
the following discernible attributes:
Name: "Stephen Fry"
Type: Person
referencedBy: <http://twitter.com/stephenfry>,
<http://twitter.com/stephenfry>, <http://www.stephenfry.com/> .

It even fits into 3 line items that most human beings can understand.
The trouble is that we only have 24 hrs in the day, and most human
beings are already totally overwhelmed by the data deluge unleashed by
the Web, so what do they do, circa. 2014?

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com