Re: OpenRefine

Hi Jeff

To get VIAF matches I used Roderick Page's Refine VIAF reconciliation service which worked really well.  Jane from our project wrote a post on this which has been well received in the #lodlam community and explains much more in case you're interested - http://archiveshub.ac.uk/blog/2013/08/hub-viaf-namematching/

I have tried various attempts to download VIAF and DBPedia RDF dumps and then trim them down to just foaf:name, surname dates etc., but have still been getting performance problems when loading into local stores. In the end I gave up and sucked out the DBPedia URIs from the VIAF link.txt.gz download at http://viaf.org/viaf/data/. Not ideal and means we'll have missed anything that VIAF haven't picked up, but fairly straightforward at least.

I'll try and put a more thorough email detailing what I did, what versions of Open and LOD Refine and share some of the project files later today.

Adrian
_____________________________
Adrian Stevenson
Senior Technical Innovations Coordinator
Mimas, The University of Manchester
Devonshire House, Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9QH

Email: adrian.stevenson@manchester.ac.uk