From: Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2013 3:17 PM
To: Steffen Staab; semantic-web@w3.org; public-lod@w3.org
Subject: Re: UNMOOC on Web Science to start!

Dear Steffen, all,

This seems to be indeed a very interesting endeavor. In particular the
"creation of open and evolving content with interactive,
community-oriented feedback sessions" seems an interesting concept. Have
you seen our OpenCOurseWare authoring platform SlideWiki
http://slidewiki.org - its now open-source, used with dozens of courses,
several hundred students. There are btw. also comprehensive lecture
series on Semantic Web, Information Retrieval, Intelligent Systems. The
Semantic Web lecture (>700 slides, >100 self-assessment questions) is
available in 12 languages (Thai, French Portuguese, Spanish, Italian,
Hindi, Greek, Persian, Arabic, Russian, German, English). We are really
interested to build a larger user/author communities around SlideWiki
content and any ideas in that regard are highly appreciated.

Best,

Sören

Am 25.10.2013 08:47, schrieb Steffen Staab:

> Institute WeST is about to start an UNMOOC -
> an UNusual Massive Open Online Course - on *Web Science*
>
> A MOOC is "an online course aimed at large-scale interactive
> participation and open access via the Web" (quote from Wikipedia).
> Usual MOOCs combine canned content (text, videos, etc.) with
> interactive, community-oriented feedback sessions.
> In contrast, our unusual MOOC targets the creation of open and evolving
> content with interactive, community-oriented feedback sessions.
>
> Find more basic information at our starting page:
> http://studywebscience.org/
>
> The course itself will be hosted on wikiversity and wikimedia commons,
> two free and open siblings of the Wikipedia platform:
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Topic:Web_Science
>
> There are three models for certification
> 1. Joining exams in Koblenz and earning ECTS credits
> 2. Examination by an outside institution.
>    If you are an outside institution and want to award
>    credits based on participation in the MOOC exam, please contact us.
> 3. Informal certification (no earning of ECTS credits)
>    by remote participation in the MOOC exam.
>
> Rene Pickhardt & Steffen Staab
> Institute for Web Science and Technologies
> University of Koblenz-Landau
>
> http://west.uni-koblenz.de

        Disclaimer:

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University) immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any party as a result of the use of such information.