Re: How to publish SPARQL endpoint limits/metadata?

On 10/15/13 5:05 AM, Frans Knibbe | Geodan wrote:

>>> Yes, enabling paging is the main thing I was thinking about. For
>>> that to work, one needs to know the maximum page size allowed.
>>> SPARQL ORDER BY, OFFSET and LIMIT  can be used to build requests for
>>> pages. But how does the query timeout setting of the server come in
>>> to play?
>>
>> In our case (re., Virtuoso) its the time taken to produce a solution,
>> bearing in mind the  LIMIT and OFFSET query values. If a complete
>> query solution isn't produced, you get a partial solution, and the
>> ability to retry with an extended timeout.
>
> Ah, I understand, thank you. I can see that this way of handling
> timeouts has its merits. And now I see that this limit is much like
> the maximum results per request: The client gets a response, but if it
> is not aware that the response is partial then it could have
> undesirable effects.
>
> Is this behaviour standardized? Or do different flavours of endpoints
> handle timeouts differently? If the latter is the case, maybe it makes
> sense to also publish something about how timeouts are handled in the
> endpoint description.

Yes, we need to standardize how this is incorporated into SPARQL
endpoint descriptions. Currently, we handle this in a Virtuoso specific
INI file, but nothing stops that information making its way into the
endpoint description and HTTP response metadata etc..

Kingsley

> Regards,
> Frans
>

>>> I assume that if a request for a page of data times out you would
>>> get a timeout error code (522 probably).
>>
>> Partial result. The idea is that its like a quiz whereby you have an
>> answer provided within allotted time, or you attempt to answer in
>> extended time i.e., you request that or it cycles back to you because
>> the opponent couldn't provide an answer etc..
>>
>>> What would be gained with prior knowledge of the timeout setting?
>>
>> The timeout is the set time for producing a compete or partial query
>> solution.
>>
>> What we need to do, which will help others, is get all the HTTP
>> and we are committed to getting the HTTP responses in line, as I've
>> described.
>>
>> Action item for us: demonstrate what I am describing using RESTful
>> interaction patterns via cURL. Once in place, we would have the
>> foundation of a pattern that anyone could *optionally* incorporate etc..
>>
>> Kingsley
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Frans

Founder & CEO