Re: How to publish SPARQL endpoint limits/metadata?

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2013, at 12:46, Barry Norton <barrynorton@gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>

> > At the same time, the relationships we want to attach to the
> query/update endpoints are semi-distinct, no? You'd agree these are
> different classes of resource?
>

> Yes, or perhaps I am saying different sub-classes?
> Thinking of it that way, I then look at Frans' list of the kind of thing
> he would like to be able to say about endpoints.
> It seems that at least the following might be common to almost any
> delivery mechanism for datasets:
>
>         • The time period of the next scheduled downtime
>         • (the URI of) a document that contains a human readable SLA or
> fair use policy for the service
>         • URIs of mirrors
>
> So, yes, there are semi-distinctions, but if that implies
> semi-non-distinctions, there should be very useful mileage in trying to
> make such things deeply compatible.
> Or at least starting from there?

True. You make a good argument for subclasses of some class with general
shared properties (which is what I should have been thinking about when I
said "semi-distinct").

There's surely a lot of good that could come from alignment.

I do wonder, for instance, why the example in the Service Descriptions spec
defines RDF/XML and Turtle but no application/sparql-results+xml or
application/sparql-results+json (I've always wondered why this wasn't
sparql-select-results, but you can't have everything) or text/csv or
text-tab-separated-values.

The documentation for void:feature, of course, hasn't these either.

Barry