Re: How to publish SPARQL endpoint limits/metadata?

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
> So having a separation between SPARQL Service Description and voiD would
> just be plain wrong.
> They must embrace each other, so that consumers can easily work out how to
> use what they think of as a "dataset".
>
> I would also add that if I take a REST-like view of the world, which I do
> for accessing a SPARQL endpoint (I am simply retrieving a document), the
> distinction between dataset and service becomes very blurred.
> Even calling it a "SPARQL Service Description" seems rather old-fashioned
> to me.

Hugh, I tend to agree (certainly about calling them 'service descriptions',
ugh). From a REST point of view, void:Datasets, named graphs (capable of
RESTful interaction via Graph Store Protocol) and SPARQL query/update
'endpoints' (ugh again) are all resources that allow one to find other,
more specific, resources.

That said if we accept that one needs some up-front guidance on what those
resources allow you to get to (a big 'if', if the REST community, but I
don't think anyone in ours would be happy with just a media type) then we
want them to be self-describing in RDF. At the same time, the relationships
we want to attach to the query/update endpoints are semi-distinct, no?
You'd agree these are different classes of resource?

Barry