Re: How to publish SPARQL endpoint limits/metadata?

Hi,

As others have suggested, extending service descriptions would be the
best way to do this. This might make a nice little community project.

It would be useful to itemise a list of the type of limits that might
be faced, then look at how best to model them.

Perhaps something we could do on the list?

Cheers,

L.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Frans Knibbe | Geodan
<frans.knibbe@geodan.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am experimenting with running SPARQL endpoints and I notice the need to
> impose some limits to prevent overloading/abuse. The easiest and I believe
> fairly common way to do that is to LIMIT the number of results that the
> endpoint will return for a single query.
>
> I now wonder how I can publish the fact that my SPARQL endpoint has a LIMIT
> and that is has a certain value.
>
> I have read the thread Public SPARQL endpoints:managing (mis)-use and
> communicating limits to users, but that seemed to be about how to
> communicate limits during querying. I would like to know if there is a way
> to communicate limits before querying is started.
>
> It seems to me that a logical place to publish a limit would be in the
> metadata of the SPARQL endpoint. Those metadata could contain all limits
> imposed on the endpoint, and perhaps other things like a SLA or a
> maintenance schedule... data that could help in the proper use of the
> endpoint by both software agents and human users.
>
> So perhaps my enquiry really is about a standard for publishing SPARQL
> endpoint metadata, and how to access them.
>
> Greetings,
> Frans
>

> --------------------------------------
> Geodan