Re: representing hypermedia controls in RDF

On 11/25/13 5:03 PM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> Hi Kingsley
>
>> Note, "Affordance" doesn't show up in any of the standard dictionaries I have access to. That said, it does have a Wiktionary entry [1], but that particular definition doesn't actually make a case for it being immutable or devoid of an alternative :-)
> Norman's "The Design of Everyday Things" describes the word nicely.
>
> In case it is of any help, my understanding of the word "affordance" is based on the verb:
> - a URL enables addressing a resource => the URL is an enabler;
> - the link affords going to the resource => the link is an affordance.
>
> Best,
>
> Ruben

Which can also read as follows, without any loss of meaning:

- a URL enables resource naming => a URL is an identifier since it enables resource denotation (naming);
- the link facilitates resource retrieval => the link is a *facilitator* .

I still believe that one can talk about REST concepts accurately and fluently without the word "Affordance" .

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facilitator .

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com