Re: Given a university's name, retrieve URL for university's home page.

Yes, Freebase can be very good - the disambiguation is good.
And it is often more comprehensive than Wikipedia in terms of URIs.
This is because the Notability is different - for example, they have pages for authors simply because they are authors of books, and Wikipedia would never allow that.
In fact, recently I found a page I had created some years ago had been deleted from Wikipedia, as they trawl back through old pages, back patching the Notability rules; I asked for the text, but when they delete a page it really gets deleted (be warned, ye Wikipedia authors!).
Fortunately, however I managed to get my words back from Freebase, and in fact the page is still there, so I have a URI for the resource.

Just to make clear, on the sameAs.org link you quote:
sameAs.org keeps no strings.
The way that happens is that we query Sindice with the string, and then we use the sameAs.org data to group the URIs coming back.
You could just search on sindice.com, but actually you are right, the two seem to work very well together for this.

Cheers