Re: Given a university's name, retrieve URL for university's home page.

On 13/05/2013, John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, keep in mind that while DBPedia is amazing and
> astounding, it (a) doesn't have all the data of the known universe,
> (b) is not 100% consistent in its use of vocabulary to describe the
> universe it does know, and (c) sometimes the vocabulary changes. In
> short, your mileage may vary...

Indeed.

> Now...A simple examination shows that you can get lucky. For example,
> the following query will get you a table of all the web site URLs for
> the entities it thinks are "universities"
>
> SELECT ?university ?website
> WHERE { ?university <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
> <http://dbpedia.org/ontology/University>.
>         ?university dbpedia2:website ?website. }
>
> or http://bit.ly/BigAssSparqlQuery
>
> You could use such a query as the basis for creating an "instance hub"
> style service for disambiguating university URIs and for aggregating
> linked data related to these unis, including their websites...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid I can't see how it addresses
any of the three shortcomings I listed.

To forestall any misunderstandings, I probably should have clarified
in my first email that it is as a *consumer* of data, not as a
*provider* of data, that I am attempting to solve the problem
described therein.

Thanks again,

Sam