Re: [White House announcement] We're making a lot more data open to the public

On 5/10/13 10:22 AM, Luca Matteis wrote:

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM, David Wood <david@3roundstones.com
> <mailto:david@3roundstones.com>> wrote:
>
>     I understand your concern, but having the White House say
>     "machine-readable" and "open formats" is huge.  Linked Data is
>     both, so it fits.
>

> Totally agree. It is huge. Of course. We all agree. But we are a
> "Linked Open Data" community not an "Open Data" community. So as a LOD
> community we should raise more awareness and NOT be satisfied with
> this data just being open (3rd star?), we should strive for better
> data using URIs and Interlinks (5 stars). Not being satisfied with
> something will raise more awareness and convince people to use what we
> are preaching!
# Turtle #

<#OpenData>
<#subCategoryOf> <#BigData>;
<#comment> """Standards based structured data which may or may not
leverage resolvable URIs as entity identifiers""" ;
<#descriptionBlurb> """U.S. President's Executive Order excerpt:
..Described. Open data are described fully so that consumers of the data
have sufficient information to understand their strengths, weaknesses,
analytical limitations, security requirements, as well as how to process
them. This involves the use of robust, granular metadata (i.e., fields
or elements that describe data), thorough documentation of data
elements, data dictionaries, and, if applicable, additional descriptions
of the purpose of the collection, the population of interest, the
characteristics of the sample, and the method of data collection.. """ ;
<#seeAlso> <http://bit.ly/ZSisvu> .

<#LinkedData>
<#subCategoryOf> <#OpenData>;
<#comment> """Standards based structured data that MUST leverage
resolvable URIs as entity identifiers. These identifiers resolve to
documents that describe said URI's referent""" ;
<#depiction> <http://bit.ly/166qtRh> ;
<#seeAlso> <http://bit.ly/ZSisvu> .

<#RDFbasedLinkedData>
<#subCategoryOf> <#LinkedData>;
<#comment> """Linked Data enhanced with RDF model based explicit
machine- and human-comprehensible entity relationship semantics""" ;
<#seeAlso> <http://bit.ly/ZSisvu> .

# Shows it's all good! #

Less is more, most of the time. Even if this was actually only about
Open Data, we still have a massive win due to the fact that Linked Data
transformation complexity is drastically reduced :-)

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen