Re: Final CFP: In-Use Track ISWC 2013

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, I agree completely! The Selector mechanism is meant to cover the cases
that can't be covered by URIs with fragments.  Having a URI that identifies
the segment (Open Annotation's SpecificResource), along with information or
a resource that describes the segment (Selector), to refer to externally in
HTML or other RDF is very important.

Rob

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Sebastian Hellmann <
hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

> [...]
>
>  * And then there are the situations where the fragment syntax isn't
> sufficient or doesn't exist.  For example circles or arbitrary paths in
> spatial dimensions, arbitrary text in any textual resource, or selections
> in resources with media types that do not have fragment definitions at all.
>  In these cases we have to look elsewhere, and use additional Selector
> resources.
>     http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/specific.html#Selectors
>
>  We would be very happy for additional engagement and discussion in this
> area as to best practices and recommendations.
>     http://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/
>

>  Rob Sanderson
>

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Dawson, Laura <Laura.Dawson@bowker.com>wrote:
>
>>  Short DOIs for fragment IDs?
>>
>>   From: Sebastian Hellmann <hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
>> Date: Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:33 PM
>> To: Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl>
>> Cc: Steve Pettifer <steve.pettifer@manchester.ac.uk>, Sarven Capadisli <
>> info@csarven.ca>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
>> Subject: Re: Final CFP: In-Use Track ISWC 2013
>>
>>   Open annotation is great. Really powerful and well designed ontology
>> and model. It doesn't replace fragment ids, however. Both are necessary:
>> frag ids to link with in simple use cases (e.g. HTML) and the other one
>> to annotate properly.
>> A bridge between them would be nice.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Sebastian
>>
>> Am 02.05.2013 18:00, schrieb Paul Groth:
>>
>> Hi Sebastien,
>>
>>  I use latex as well. Utopia is a pdf reader.
>>
>>  But utopia does support referencing bits of the pdf. As I understand,
>> they are moving to extending the open annotation ontology. I've cc'd Steve
>> Pettifer who created Utopia and who will known the ins-and-outs.
>>
>>  Currently, they store all the annotations separately.
>>
>>  Thanks
>> Paul
>>

>> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Sebastian Hellmann <
>> hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi Paul,
>>> personally for me latex works best, because it has good editors and
>>> support for description logic formulas. Plus it is widely used and quite
>>> good for PDF typesetting.
>>>
>>> It would be really swell to be able to address content within PDF with
>>> identifiers. Did Utopia solve that problem?
>>>
>>> I am asking along the lines of
>>> - mediafragments [1]
>>> - RFC 5147 text fragment identifier (see the example at the bottom of
>>> [2])
>>> - xpointer/xpath [3]
>>>
>>> If yes, I would like to use it immediately. There are plans to convert
>>> the Google Mention corpus (which includes PDF's) to NIF [2] .
>>> The PDF Open Parameters provided by [4] are way too simple.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Sebastian
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/media-frags/
>>> [2] (example is at the bottom of .ttl file)
>>> [4]