Re: Final CFP: In-Use Track ISWC 2013

Dear all,

Thank you for the comments on Open Annotation!

We agree, of course, that fragments are extremely important.  In Open
Annotation we have a hybrid approach consisting of three parts:

* If the resource can be described solely using fragments, then we promote
that.
    http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/core.html#FragmentURIs

* However there are situations when we need more information than can be
provided in a fragment, such as also adding the time of the representation
or providing style information for the segment, then we introduce a
FragmentSelector resource that provides the fragment syntax along with this
additional information.
    http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/specific.html#FragmentSelector

* And then there are the situations where the fragment syntax isn't
sufficient or doesn't exist.  For example circles or arbitrary paths in
spatial dimensions, arbitrary text in any textual resource, or selections
in resources with media types that do not have fragment definitions at all.
 In these cases we have to look elsewhere, and use additional Selector
resources.
    http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/specific.html#Selectors

We would be very happy for additional engagement and discussion in this
area as to best practices and recommendations.
    http://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/

Rob Sanderson