Re: Final CFP: In-Use Track ISWC 2013

Hi Sarven,

Beyond the PDF for me is moving beyond the current research communication
system as highlighted by the Force 11 manifesto (
http://www.force11.org/white_paper). This includes adopting technologies
that augment/extend (i.e. go beyond) existing technologies. For example,
making data easily accessible and citable, providing links to online
content, making multiple perspectives on content available, exposing
provenance, using altmetrics. I'm very influenced by the work on Utopia (
http://utopiadocs.com) so that's why I think using pdfs are fine - you can
do a lot with them as they stand - and for a certain form of communication
(written long form text) they work well. As technologist we need to make
sure that these new technologies work well in the environment and connect
to other things.

cheers
Paul

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca> wrote:

> On 05/02/2013 12:23 PM, Paul Groth wrote:
>
>> I think Harry makes the point better than I can.
>>

> Paul, I have one last question for you if you don't mind, because it seems
> like you are not interested in playing this out and I don't want to bother
> you further: what does "beyond the PDF" mean to you?
>
> -Sarven

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Web & Media Group | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam