Re: Why is it bad practice to consume Linked Data and publish opaque HTML pages?

All the CC-BY licenses require attribution in the a manner specified by the
licensor. What needs to be done is that if you release work under a CC
license you should specify that you consider the work properly attributed
if the licensee includes the original uri in their publications.,

The SA provision doesn't address the issue of how attribution is made.
Rather it stipulates that works that build upon a so licensed source need
to be themselves licensed in the same way. I'm not personally a fan of this
provision, but I understand it may be useful in selected situations.

Finally, it should be noted that you can only use a CC license if you
actually have some copy rights in the material you are releasing. In the
US, if the material is factual data , then it is not something that can be
copyrighted. And if you are producing LOD transliterations of existing
resources, you can't slap on a CC license unless the source material is
licensed in a manner that gives you the right to do so (google my
discussion of the license we see on linkedct.org if you are curious about
this aspect.)

So licensing will only go so far.

If people care about this, and I agree with Kingsley that they should, they
should consider articulating their views and including those descriptions -
not legally binding, but establishing a community norm - in linked data
they publish. Aggregators, reviewers,  search tools, users of linked data
should pay attention to uses to check  and make (public) noise when those
norms are flouted. Tutorials and Courses that teach about how to make
linked data should include education about these norms.

In academia, citation is not mandated by license or law, but by norms, and
it is pretty darned effective. it could become the case that norms are
similarly effective in the lod community.

Alan