Re: HTTP response status code 303 See Other - Linked Data best practice

On 3/28/13 9:46 AM, Marco Neumann wrote:
> thank you Kingsley but I am still not exactly sure about the different options.

In the past, the HTTP 303 redirection heuristic was the only option for
using hashless HTTP URIs to denote entities such that dereference
resolved to an entity description document that describes the hashless
URI's referent [1][2] .

As result of the new HTTP clarification, its possible to factor in
another heuristic, especially for the many that have been challenged by
the 303 redirection approach. Thus, instead of inferring that a 200 OK
implies that a request URI denotes a Web Document, it is now possible to
leverage additional information (as delivered by the Content-Location
header) with regards to disambiguating what a hashless URI actually
denotes.

The Content-Location header actually identifies a Web Document. Thus, if
you have a request URI that doesn't match the Content-Location header's
URI, you can infer that the request URI denotes an Entity while the
Content-Location header denotes its Description Document.

> do you provide a service that validates URIs? and list the respective
> configuration options?

We are going to contribute some changes to Vapour re. these matters [3].

> I currently use cURL to test URIs but do not always get the same
> run-time behavior my applications.

Vapour is an easier tool for this matter.

Links:

1. http://twitpic.com/cdfva5 -- DBpedia hashless URI and explicit 303
based indirection (this will soon deploy support for the new heuristic)
2. http://twitpic.com/cbk8ul -- hash URI based implicit redirection
3. https://bitbucket.org/fundacionctic/vapour/wiki/Home -- Vapour Project .

Kingsley