Re: Important Change to HTTP semantics re. hashless URIs

On 3/24/13 1:59 PM, Barry Norton wrote:
> On 24/03/13 17:52, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>> On 24 Mar 2013, at 17:39, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Thus, if a client de-references the URI
>>> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama> and it gets a 200 OK from
>>> the server combined with <http://dbpedia.org/page/Barack_Obama> in
>>> the Content-Location response header, the client (user agent) can
>>> infer the following:
>>>
>>> 1. <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama> denotes the real-world
>>> entity 'Barack Obama' .
>> Why can a client make this inference? I can't see any basis for the
>> inference that the URI identifies a “real-world entity”. The
>> described interaction does not provide any information regarding the
>> nature of the identified resource, AFAICT.
>>
>> Best,
>> Richard
>
> Agreed. And I don't like the 'give a 200 and trust clients to spot the
> header' approach. I especially don't like that the header will become
> a 'we can add that later' academic ideal and we'll effectively lose
> the NIR/IR distinction altogether (if we already haven't).
>
> Barry

That's simply isn't the point.

This is about incorporating more metadata into the Linked Data URI
disambiguation process i.e., interpret what the Content-Location value
delivers. The response header implies that the server is pointing you to
the location of a document associated with the request URI.

 From a Linked Data perspective, it simply means that we have another
heuristic for disambiguation.

The goal is to have options, especially an option that kills the 303
distraction with regards to hashless URIs.

An optional heuristic is just that, an option.

Aren't you fed up of 303 distractions re. Linked Data and hashless URIs?

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen