Re: Important Change to HTTP semantics re. hashless URIs

From: David Wood <david@3roundstones.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:05:51 -0400
Cc: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
To: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
On Mar 24, 2013, at 13:52, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:

> On 24 Mar 2013, at 17:39, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> Thus, if a client de-references the URI <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama> and it gets a 200 OK from the server combined with <http://dbpedia.org/page/Barack_Obama> in the Content-Location response header, the client (user agent) can infer the following:
>>
>> 1. <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama> denotes the real-world entity 'Barack Obama' .
>
> Why can a client make this inference? I can't see any basis for the inference that the URI identifies a “real-world entity”. The described interaction does not provide any information regarding the nature of the identified resource, AFAICT.

Right, "the sender asserts that the payload is a representation of the resource identified by the Content-Location field-value".

So, the sender (DBpedia) asserts that http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama is a REPRESENTATION of the resource http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama, but the recipient has no way to know that the resource http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama is a real-world entity…

One really nice way to say that http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama is real-world entity is for RDF returned by http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama to say so :)

Regards,
Dave
--