Re: standard 1 week extension for W3C RDF Validation Workshop submissions

Consider adding Common Logic (CL) to the technologies under
consideration for the RDF Validation Workshop. I have had some success
writing RDF validation rules in XCL (the xml syntax for CL) and
converting them to SPARQL for various purposes, including validation.
Two interesting questions arise:

1. Which sorts of RDF validation use cases *can't* be expressed in CL?
2. What are the requirements and characteristics of a "CL2SPARQL"
mapping to support RDF validation (and, for that matter, RDF use cases
beyond validation that call for application of logic)?

Pat Hayes described the possible mappings between CL and RDF in
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/CL/SW2SCL.html.

I don't know if it is susceptible to formal analysis, but there would be
some practical benefits of defining the range of CL constructions that
can be mapped to SPARQL. Call this CL2SPARQL.

Motivations for using CL2SPARQL include:
1. Put business rules in a standard rule language and repurpose for data
validation and reporting. (Same CL source can be used to generate
SELECT, ASK, INSERT, CONSTRUCT, and parameterized SPARQL or SPIN
templates.)
2. Apply logical tools to the CL source to check for consistency,
coverage, etc.
3. Summarize and display rules for human consumption.
4. Rules are easily integrated into linked data framework.

Probably beyond the scope of the workshop are the specific technical
topics that would need to be addressed by CL2SPARQL. However, these
should be noted in order to evaluate this potential solution. These
issues include:

1. Various possibilities for mapping negation, and their relationship to
open/closed worlds.
2. Modes of implication. The logical conditional can be interpreted in
different practical ways.
3. SPARQL OPTIONAL. In logic, this seems to translate to '(or (exists
(x) ..) (not (exists (x) ...)))', which is tautological, so there must
be some implied existential conditional involved that would make this
appear more sensible in CL.
4. Composability of Common Logic texts to make SPARQL queries.
5. Logic of aggregate functions.
6. Logic of lists and collections.
7. Useful extra-logical extension points for Common Logic that would
have practical benefits for CL2SPARQL (for example, indicating what
variables to include in SELECT clause).

Regards,
--Paul