Re: Civic apps and Linked Data

On 27-6-2013 0:12, Alvaro Graves wrote:
> Hi Frans,
>
> I think there is a chicken-and-egg problem there. Governments won't
> release Linked Data since they don't see the value of doing so because
> nobody uses it (at least that's what employees from several government
> have told me).
That could be a factor, but I don't think it is the whole story. Well,
it probably depends on which government and who in the government you
are talking to. I think in my country there is a fairly broad desire to
make national data public, as Open Data. Many people in government
recognize that not only society will benefit, but government itself too.
Much time and money is spent now on getting data from one institution to
the other and trying to merge data. Having it all online, in proper
formats, would be an enormous boost to productivity of many civil servants.

There are several reasons why not all national data are published as
five star data right away:

1) Budgets are cut because of the economic crisis. It is hard  to start
up major innovative projects.
2) Some data administrators don't like the idea of sharing the treasure
they hoard.
3) Some data administrators don't like the idea that people might find
weak spots or errors in the data.
4) Publishing data sets the right way takes a lot of effort and knowledge.
5) Publishing Linked Data means publishing semantics and metadata too.
With old school data management these things can too easily be ignored.
6) Some people feel that there first should be official standards from
official standard institutions.

This list is probably not complete.

> I disagree with Kinsgley in terms that Linked Data is not complicated,
> it is more complex than releasing CSV files. The evidence for me is
> the fact that very few governments have actually released LOD
> platforms :-) I think there is an intrinsic value of LOD that can't be
> obtained by releasing 3-star data, however in many of these situations
> people can make short term plans (i.e., release in whatever format you
> have, don't spend too much time on modeling, converting, etc.).
I think that for the kind of data that are needed for attaining critical
mass for civic apps, yes, the publication process is very complicated.
Both technically and organisational.

> From the point of view of developers, I don't see as many tools to use
> LOD as for using CSV, JSON, etc. I think this is a critical point in
> encouraging the use and publication of LOD.
I think the avarage developer could quickly learn some basic SPARQL. The
idea that you can build a query, send it as a HTTP request en get some
data in JSON format is quite powerful. I think learning SPARQL is
similar to learning SQL. Many developers know a bit of SQL. You do not
need to know everything to get things done.

--
*Geodan*

T +31 (0)20 - 5711 347
E frans.knibbe@geodan.nl