Re: Civic apps and Linked Data

While one could debate the scale of impact I do see some successful
civic apps here in the UK.

For example, the Environment Agency's (EA) publication of "real" time
data on quality of water at bathing sites [1] has been quite successful.

As well as the nice explorer application provided with the data,
sponsored directly by EA, a third party company came along and built a
smartphone app for viewing the data, integrated with other information
about the bathing sites.

We are finding that increasing numbers of local authorities are
including the data via simple web widgets on their visitor web sites.
Some have information screens at the beaches where visitors can see
information on the water quality without having to have a smartphone.

I think the key here was:

1. Having data which is actually of interest in a civic context (how
safe is it to go swimming?).

2. The publisher providing a compelling example of what can be done with
the data.

3. Publisher commitment to maintaining the data up to date.

4. Having a simple API so that web developers could get initial access
without needing to learn SPARQL or RDF. The Linked Data API [2] means
that you can filter the data to get the part you want and have it
delivered in easy to consume JSON or XML.

Arup, who developed the smartphone app, initially just used the API
never having worked with RDF. Then from that gained an understanding of
what this Linked Data stuff is all about. From there started to look at
what other data sets could be linked into the bathing site reference data.

I feel it is repeating patterns like this that's the way to go. Build up
value steadily by more and more data sets and more and more locally
useful applications. None of them need be revolutionary. It is the
incrementally growing value of the data ecosystem, which is a long game
to play.  Don't hold out for "we changed the world" killer apps, just
deliver value.

Dave

[1] http://environment.data.gov.uk/
[2] https://code.google.com/p/linked-data-api/