Re: The Great Public Linked Data Use Case Register for Non-Technical End User Applications

On 25 June 2013 01:00, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:

> On 24 June 2013 14:31, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> > On 6/24/13 2:14 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:

> You appear to be arguing against the simple useful practice of
> communally collecting information. Just because we can scatter
> information around the Web and subsequently aggregate it, doesn't mean
> that such fragmentation is always productive.  I don't see anyone
> arguing that the only option is to monolithically centralise
> everything forever; just that a communal effort on cataloguing things
> might be worth the time.

Im unsure the argument is that central data stores are wrong.

However, Tim often says value-add of the web is unexpected reuse.  It's the
portability of linked data that helps to achieve this (one way to make data
portable is to use global names, ie URIs), so data gets used in interesting
ways (and interesting places) that may not have been originally anticipated.