Re: Linked Data and the Original Web Proposal

On 6/24/13 4:24 PM, Luca Matteis wrote:
> Kingsley, how about being crystal clear of HTTP as well then? Isn't
> that an "implementation detail" just as your understanding of "RDF
> within Linked Data" is?
>
> - sorry for unleashing hell again

There is not hell being unleashed. When did asking questions become a
terrible thing?  In fact, HTTP is an implementation detail. Of course,
when you take into consideration that HTTP URIs lie at the core of the
World Wide Web, its most cost-effective to use this type of resolvable
URI to get going with Linked Data.

To answer you question, precisely: HTTP is an implementation detail just
like RDF and SPARQL :-)

The thing about all of this (which Ora Lassila also tried to articulate)
is the fact that ultimately, the productive way to produce *powerful*
Linked Data boils down to these implementation details:

1. HTTP URIs -- so that you don't have to write your own URI resolver
2. RDF data model -- {*I won't answer this until we make progress re. my
question about RDF's unique characteristics*}
3. SPARQL protocol based URLs -- an option for handling content
negotiation via re-write rules which is part of the Linked Data URI
lookup functionality .

Kingsley