Re: List membership - more women

On 24 June 2013 10:34, Isabelle Augenstein <i.augenstein@sheffield.ac.uk>wrote:

>  Hi Dominic,
>
> I only joined the list a few months ago, so my observations might be
> inaccurate, but
>
> - Overall, most discussions on the list seem to be rather philosophical
> (What is Linked Data? Does Linked Data require RDF?), which are not the
> kind of discussions I was hoping for when I joined the list in the first
> place

Quite. A lot of the initial enthusiasm about Linked Data was associated
with a despair some felt about the "Semantic Web" slogan, which had got
itself associated with overly-academic, complex-KR-obsessed and other
unworldy concerns. I suspect this sort of churn is a natural part of the
lifecycle of standards work; some are starting to feel about public-lod the
same way.

> - My guess would be that the ratio between subscribers and people posting
> on the list is rather low in general in addition to few women being
> subscribed to the list (But I bet we can get some statistics for that?)

 There are just over 1000 subscribers to the list (no gender figures
available for those). You can see from
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2013Jun/author.html who the
most vocal participants are.

Dan