Re: The Great Public Linked Data Use Case Register for Non-Technical End User Applications

On 6/23/13 7:09 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 23 June 2013 23:46, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 6/23/13 5:36 PM, Barry Norton wrote:
>>
>>     Are you confusing Linked Data and Linked Open Data?
>
>     Of course not!
>
>     Web-like structured data enhanced with explicit entity
>     relationship semantics enables serendipitous discovery at the
>     public or private level.
>
>     "Open" has nothing to do with "Public" . "Open" is about standards
>     and the interoperability they accord.
>

> What part of
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/index.php?title=SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData&oldid=35551
> am I misunderstanding? The early LOD collaborations had a clear
> emphasis on open in the sense of freely available data. I can see
> merit in broadening that, but to say "has nothing to do with" seems at
> odds with how a lot of people appeared to be understanding the initiative.
Dan,

To be clearer "Open" is not about being "Public" . The fact that Linked
Open Data oriented datasets are public is simply beside the point.
"Open" is about standards compliance which fosters ineroperability. This
use of "Open" extends back to the early days of Unix when portability
and interoperability across computers was a novelty.

My point, re. Web 101 comment was that discovery is an incentive for
publishing content to the Web. In addition, when the content is web-like
and enhanced with machine- and human-comprehensible entity relationship
semantics, you also get the benefit of serendipitous discovery.

We don't need anything to be centralized, because centralization doesn't
scale. We just need to publish content in Linked Data form en route to
increasing the probability of serendipitous discovery.

I hope my point is clearer? I didn't mention LOD (Linked Open Data
Cloud) when I commented about not requiring a central registry of tools.

Kingsley

> Dan
>

> """Interlinking Open Data on the Semantic Web
>
> Chris Bizer, Richard Cyganiak
>
> *1. Please provide a brief description of your proposed project.*
>
> The Open Data Movement <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Data> aims
> at making data freely available to everyone. There are already various
> interesting open data sources availiable on the Web. Examples include
> Wikipedia <http://www.wikipedia.org/>,Wikibooks
> <http://www.wikipedia.org/>, Geonames <http://www.geonames.org/>,
> MusicBrainz <http://musicbrainz.org/>, WorldNet
> <http://wordnet.princeton.edu/online/>, the DBLP bibliography
> <http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/%7Eley/db/> and many more which
> are published under Creative Commons <http://creativecommons.org/> or
> Talis <http://www.talis.com/tdn/tcl> licenses.
>
> The goal of the proposed project is to make various open data sources
> available on the Web as RDF and to set RDF links between data items
> from different data sources.
>
> There are already some data publishing efforts. Examples include the
> dbpedia.org <http://dbpedia.org/docs/> project, the Geonames Ontology
> <http://www.geonames.org/ontology/> and a D2R Server publishing the
> DBLP bibliography <http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/dblp/>. There are
> also initial efforts to interlink these data sources. For instance,
> the dpedia RDF descriptions of cities includes owl:sameAs links to the
> Geonames data about the city (1) <http://dbpedia.org/docs/#link>.
> Another example is the RDF Book Mashup
> <http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/bookmashup/> which links
> book authors to paper authors within the DBLP bibliography (2)
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2006Dec/0022>.
>
> *2. Why did you select this particular project?*
>
> For demonstrating the value of the Semantic Web it is essential to
> have more real-world data online. RDF is also the obvious technology
> to interlink open data from various sources.
>
> *3. Why do you think this project will have a wide impact?*
>
> A huge inter-linked data set would be beneficial for various Semantic
> Web development areas, including Semantic Web browsers and other user
> interfaces, Semantic Web crawlers, RDF repositories and reasoning engines.
>
> Having a variety of useful data online would encourage people to link
> to it and could help bootstrapping the Semantic Web as a whole."""
>

> Dan

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com