Re: Are Topic Maps Linked Data?

Back in 2001-2002 we had quite a lot of passionate interaction between the
Topic Maps and RDF working groups
My preferred presentation at that time was the one by Nikita Ogievetsky
wearing his "Semantic Web Glasses", various versions of the concept are
still on line at http://www.cogx.com/?si=urn:cogx:resource:swg.
Lars Marius Garshol made also quite good comparisons of the two piles of
standards, see http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/92.html

Now when the Linked Data "brand" started around 2006, unfortunately Topic
Maps were already more or less in a deadlock (for all sorts of reasons
off-topic here - no pun), so the question "Are Topic Maps Linked Data?" is
a sort of de facto anachronism.

That said, well, yes, of course, Topic Maps is a technology meant to link
data. It was even its core business. Jim Mason [1] (if I remember
correctly) used to say that XML was SGML with good marketing, maybe Linked
Data is Topic Maps with good marketing :)

Bernard

[1] http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc34old/repository/0688.pdf

*Bernard Vatant
*
Vocabularies & Data Engineering
Tel :  + 33 (0)9 71 48 84 59
 Skype : bernard.vatant
Blog : the wheel and the hub <http://bvatant.blogspot.com>
Linked Open Vocabularies : lov.okfn.org
*Mondeca**          **                   *
3 cité Nollez 75018 Paris, France
www.mondeca.com
Follow us on Twitter : @mondecanews <http://twitter.com/#%21/mondecanews>
Meet us during the European Open Data Week <http://opendataweek.org> in