Re: 返: Proof: Linked Data does not require RDF

On 6/19/13 7:33 AM, Norman Gray wrote:
> Kingsley and all, hello.
>
> On 2013 Jun 19, at 12:06, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> The issues at hand are as follows:
>>
>> 1. Is RDF the only option for producing Linked Data that's 100% compliant with TimBL's original meme?
>> 2. Are RDF and Linked Data tightly or loosely coupled?
> Those are good and clear, but I think a third issue is:
>
> 3. Do the answers matter?
>
> There seem to be two strands in this thread (which I think has now spread across multiple lists).  One strand is concerned to devise a precise definition of what Linked Data means, and hence what's included in, and excluded from, the definition  (call this the 'technical strand'); the other is content to see Linked Data as a rather 'softer' or vaguer thing, concerned with rhetoric, exposition or dissemination (call this the 'sociotechnical strand').

The answers matter because the collective goal is getting more end-users
and developers on board, without being overbearing and draconian.
Basically, end-users and developers fall into the following camps:

1. completely new to all the technical elements -- that includes the
Web's technical architecture

2. Web 2.0 developers and users -- this is where R-D-F reflux is strong
for a myriad of reasons (due to bottom-up narratives that are
provincial, conflation laden, and recited like mantras)

3. experienced applications & systems developers, systems integrators,
and users -- the folks with 10 - 20+ years of expertise covering
development, implementation, and use of operating systems, DBMS, and
business applications (these folks understand data structures, data
access by references, pointers, relations etc..).

>    * For the technical strand, of course the answers matter, because how else can you decide whether something is compliant with TimBL's meme (I'm not sure that memes include conformance clauses, but we can let that pass...!).  Hence discussion of reasoning, logic, expressiveness, 'overtly RDF', your Venn diagram, and so on.

It applies to the #1 too, the venn isn't low level, it basically depicts
the fact that Identifiers, Structured Data, and Predicate Logic are
loosely coupled pieces of the puzzle. Of course, I am not assuming they
possess mastery of all three circles.

>    * From the point of view of the sociotechnical strand, the answers don't matter ('distinction without a difference'), because these are non-questions, because 'linked data' isn't something that can be complied with or not.  Or, put another way, concluding that something is or is not officially Linked Data doesn't imply anything important.

The fact that "Linked Data" denotes as a principled approach to
structured data representation does need to be clearly understood. I say
that because the phrase denotes a concept with uniquely distinguishing
characteristics.

It is important to understand that all structured data representation
isn't web-like (webby).

It is important to understand that web-like doesn't mean the World Wide
Web.

It is important to understand that you can scale web-like structured
data to the World Wide Web and Internet via choice of identifier type
(e.g., HTTP URIs).

It is important to understand that all web-like structured data (scaled
to the World Wide Web or not)  isn't necessary endowed with *explicit*
relationship semantics that are comprehensible to both humans and machines.

> I think there's a certain amount of talking past one another in this thread, because arguments in one strand seem muddled or even mischievous when viewed from the other.

Yes, I agree!

 From my vantage point, the ability to speak clearly about Linked Data,
RDF, and the Semantic Web is very important. Same thing applies to doing
so in credible fashion, to a variety of target audiences.

As I've stated in earlier threads, in the context of profile #3 above,
there are times when RDF narratives simply come across as "teaching
parents how to make babies" which simply leads to folks building up
contemptuous walls of resistance.

> Does this help this thread at all?

A lot!

Thanks!