Re: Fwd: The need for RDF in Linked Data

On 6/18/13 11:42 AM, Luca Matteis wrote:

> I am not sure how to continue this discussion. Nothing you've said so
> far has proven to me that Linked Data can be used without RDF. And I
> wasn't successful at proving to you the opposite.
The point is: whether you can produce Linked Data without RDF. Of course
you can. And of course you don't have to take my word for it. That said,
I wouldn't sit back and allow confusion reign over the hard work many
have put into making Linked Data what it is today.

If you invest your time in a little background history, you will
actually come to realize that the LOD community (long before the W3C
hosted this list) and DBpedia projects where motivated by the desire to
get beyond the same old "broken narrative" quagmires created around RDF.

Sadly for many of us, instead of learning from the past, we now have to
painfully watch resurrection of the same old behavioral patterns that
created the initial problems for RDF -- problems that have lead to the
R-D-F reflux ailment which (unfortunately) afflicts more people that
many RDFers are willing to appreciate.

FWIW -- The W3C is not supposed to be in the technology branding
business. It's job is to standardize the loosely coupled technical
components that constitute the World Wide Web.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen