Re: The need for RDF in Linked Data

On 17 June 2013 12:32, Luca Matteis <lmatteis@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Melvin Carvalho <
> melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It depends whether or not you consider the web a data space.
>

> Wasn't the whole point of Linked Data to create a "Web of Data" rather
> than a "Web of Documents". To me, if it's not RDF, then they're still
> documents.

If you read "weaving the web" (or even the first few pages), it may lead
you to believe that the whole point of the WEB was to create a web of
data.  Documents are the things we put our data on.  The highest form of
data (5 star linked data) unambiguously links data to other data, that is
also machine readable.  One standard to do this is RDF.  There's lower
stars of linked data too, e.g. if documents were not machine readable we
wouldnt have search engines ...