Re: Ending the Linked Data debate -- PLEASE VOTE *NOW*!

On 6/14/13 10:21 AM, Ted Thibodeau Jr wrote:
> David --
>
> Without getting deeply into the current discussion...
>
> On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:53 AM, David Booth wrote:
>> another case in point: I have multiple times seen the assertion that TimBL's original Linked Data document did not mention RDF, in spite of the fact that anyone who takes the time to actually *read* that document can plainly see that it *explicitly* mentions RDF:
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20061115043657/http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
> The link you provided here reveals the first WebArchive capture
> of that particular page -- but this is not the original content.
>
> Note --
>
>     Date: 2006-07-27, last change: $Date: 2006/10/25 16:33:40 $
>
> Unfortunately, TimBL's pages do not reveal their revision history,
> only hints like the above, that *some* change has been made.
>
> Even if it were the original document, I submit that the vast
> number of typos and other random errors found in the DesignIssues
> pages, coupled with TimBL's own notation --

>     Editing status: imperfect but published.
>
> -- must be taken to mean that their content is *not* to be
> treated as words from Mount Olympus, but rather as food for
> thought and for discussion.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ted

Even more noticeable is this little statement from the paragraph that
follows the bullet list:

"Simple. In fact, though, */_a surprising amount of data isn't linked in
2006, because of problems with one or more of the steps_/*.  This
article discusses solutions to these problems, details of
implementation, and factors affecting choices about how you publish your
data."

The statement above simply reiterates what should be obvious i.e., there
isn't enough Linked Data on the Web. It has/had nothing to do with RDF.

For those who care, there is a Semantic Web Application (SWAP)
[1][2][3], and in classic dog-fooding fashion, it is documented using an
ontology. The ontology describes the Semantic Web platform.

The Web is inherently modular, and there are no defensible arguments for
compromising its core architecture and vision.

Links:

1. http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/
2. http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/
3. http://www.w3.org/2003/Talks/0520-www-tf1-a1-primer/Overview.html .

Kingsley

> --
> A: Yes.                      http://www.guckes.net/faq/attribution.html
> | Q: Are you sure?
> | | A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>
> Ted Thibodeau, Jr.           //               voice +1-781-273-0900 x32
> Senior Support & Evangelism  //        mailto:tthibodeau@openlinksw.com
>                               //              http://twitter.com/TallTed
> OpenLink Software, Inc.      //              http://www.openlinksw.com/
>           10 Burlington Mall Road, Suite 265, Burlington MA 01803
>       Weblog   -- http://www.openlinksw.com/blogs/
>       LinkedIn -- http://www.linkedin.com/company/openlink-software/
>       Twitter  -- http://twitter.com/OpenLink
>       Google+  -- http://plus.google.com/100570109519069333827/
>       Facebook -- http://www.facebook.com/OpenLinkSoftware
> Universal Data Access, Integration, and Management Technology Providers

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen