Re: RDF's challenge

On 2013-06-11, at 18:09, David Wood <david@3roundstones.com> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2013, at 12:58, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Nicely put, David.
>> I have heard people going the other way and disconnecting them, however.
>> That is, suggesting that Linked Data does not need to be RDF, which I do find confuses people (and me!)
>
> It seems to me that those unnamed "Web developers" (I am a Web developer, but not of their opinion) who think that RDF is unnatural are solving a different and simpler problem than Linked Data or RDF developers.  They rightly recognize that the RDF formats don't provide them any value when getting data from a *single source* for display within a browser.  They are not trying to combine data from different silos.  When you do that, Linked Data and RDF are a very natural way to go.

Right, exactly.

There are many situations where RDF is overkill. For the situations where it's not, it's a good solution.

I have some reservations about RDF becoming more complex to use (or appearing to be) over time, but that's another issue.

I don't see how RDF can be not "web native" - what does that even mean? How is RDF more complex than GIF? Is GIF not "web native". It's total gibberish.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris
Experian