Re: Linked Stuff [was Re: RDF's challenge]

On 06/11/2013 06:02 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 6/11/13 5:15 PM, Luca Matteis wrote:
>> Why are we worried about all of this? "Linked Data" is clearly defined
>> by the four principles of Tim-Berners Lee [1]. RDF is in there. So in
>> order to be Linked Data it has to use RDF.
>>
>> If you don't want to use RDF, then you're not doing Linked Data.
>> You're just doing something else and you're free to call it whatever
>> you want.
>>
>> 1. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
>
> Really?  You are referring to a revision of the original meme [1]. And
> when you digest that meme, please don't come back inferring that TimBL
> must have been thinking about RDF when he produced outlined the four
> points in his original GOLDEN meme.

That original GOLDEN meme is archived at
http://web.archive.org/web/20061201121454/http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
and makes very clear that TimBL *was* thinking about RDF when he wrote
that.  As I pointed out before at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-comments/2013Jun/0041.html
[[
 > Uh . . . did you read that entire document?  Please do.
 > Because unless one were intentionally exercising selective
 > understanding, I do not see how anyone could honestly misread
 > it so badly as to not realize that it is specifically talking
 > about RDF and the Semantic Web, making reference to the way the
 > HTML-based web works, and showing that the same principles
 > of linking and dereferencing are needed for RDF and the
 > Semantic Web.  The very first paragraph says:
 > [[
 > The Semantic Web isn't just about putting data on the web. It
 > is about making links, so that a person or machine can explore
 > the web of data.  With linked data, when you have some of it,
 > you can find other, related, data.
 > ]]
 >
 > And the second paragraph explicitly says: "for data they [are]
 > links between arbitrary things described by RDF".  I don't
 > know how he could have said it more clearly.
 >
 > Claiming that that document in any way supports the notion
 > that Linked Data is not based on RDF would be disingenuous to
 > the point of being fraudulent.
]]

David