Re: RDF's challenge

Hi all,

I'm sure that on this particular list, everyone will agree that RDF is
web-native (of course it is). As a member of OKFN myself I have found
Rufus' quote very hard to defend (certainly not as a LOD researcher).
Nevertheless it was very thought provoking and sadly it may be a very close
representation of the reality we are currently in.

In our lab (MultiMedia Lab at the university of Ghent) we did a short
brainstorm over lunch. These were the outcomes (rather problem statements):

 * People who should re-use LOD are data amateurs. They are user-experience
experts and great front-end engineers, but they do not know what the
difference between URL, URI or IRI is, they have no clue what HTTP stands
for and REST is something they do at night.
 * People think RDF is an immensely complicated technology and overthink it
all the time.
 * There are no killer use cases / demos of LOD (apart from
http://everythingisconnected.be, but that is only using 1 dataset, it
doesn't even follow external links) to convince policy makers to start
publishing LOD. Most of the sparql endpoints in the LOD cloud are academic
use cases that proved a point and then stopped working.
 * When you ask windows users to install a program on a debian machine,
they will start a browser and start looking for a binary on the web while
everyone perfectly knows that apt-get is the way to go, right? Similarly
when you ask a 12 year old to write a program which processes all the
toilets in a certain city, (s)he will start looking for a CSV file on a
search machine instead of going to the cities' linked data portal and fire
a SPARQL query. How can we start making this mind shift?

Personally, I believe LOD Portals will play a key role in the future
evolution towards Linked Open Data from both sides (it will be the subject
of many of my next papers). What Rufus says certainly holds true today: RDF
is not the first thing organisations think of when publishing data today,
and LOD is not the first thing developers think of for their projects
today. I'm sure however that time will bring more use cases, more tools,
and more great show cases of LOD so that it will become more of a reflex
rather than a step in the dark.

Kind regards,

Pieter