Re: Representing NULL in RDF

On Jun 11, 2013, at 2:03 PM, Sven R.Kunze wrote:

> Yes, from the wording, I do agree with you.
> However, as the entailment rule says, your conclusion is correct, but the other way round might not. That you know, that there is something for that particular instance, does not imply the necessity for each instance of that rdf:type.
> That is, when you know x bears a p relation (but nothing more) you cannot infer that each instance of that type of x bears it.

I,m not sure what you mean by 'that type of x', but indeed, you can't infer anything about something else of a given type just from a single fact about one entity.

> Another point, which came to my mind lately, it the challenge of updating that particular blank node. It’d required one step more to check whether there is such blank node and then removing it, when it is to be replaced by a named entity.

You don't need to remove it. It is still true (though now redundant) when you have the named entity.

> And that only the first time. This might be a rather complex code.

Its pretty simple in practice (though its theoretical complxity is hard, the hard cases never arise in practice.) The operation is called 'leaning' (in the sense of "making lean", ie removing redundancies)

> Btw: one idea of getting rid of the rdfs:RequiredProperty class could be including that rule into your schema definition (of course for each (A, p) that it applies to):
>
> { ?x rdf:type A } => { ?x p [] }
>
> I am not sure what inferring engines actually do when it comes to inferring blank nodes with no further data within. So, when a particular x already have a p relation, maybe that engine dismiss the inferred blank node p relation.

Yes, it would be redundant in that case. Some engines simply leave it alone, others check for redundancies and remove them.

> Nevertheless, the primary problem with the blank node solution is the blank node itself and the missing way of pulling schema data out of it

? Im not sure what you mean by pulling schema data. You can't pull data from an IRI either (can you?)

Pat