Re: RDF's challenge

On 6/11/13 1:09 PM, David Wood wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2013, at 12:58, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Nicely put, David.
>> I have heard people going the other way and disconnecting them, however.
>> That is, suggesting that Linked Data does not need to be RDF, which I do find confuses people (and me!)
> It seems to me that those unnamed "Web developers" (I am a Web developer, but not of their opinion) who think that RDF is unnatural are solving a different and simpler problem than Linked Data or RDF developers.  They rightly recognize that the RDF formats don't provide them any value when getting data from a *single source* for display within a browser.  They are not trying to combine data from different silos.  When you do that, Linked Data and RDF are a very natural way to go.

In addition, HTTP URIs help understand the power of keys since HTTP URIs
resolve to descriptions of their referents, from any user agent. Even
when there's a single data source this can be a crucial bridge to
clarity since users do recognize the limitations of literal identifiers
which (by implication) are silo vectors i.e., the keys are only useful
in a specific product.

Having a tabular resultset (CSV, Spreadsheet etc..) enhanced with Linked
Data URIs is a powerful bridge for those that seek clarity about what
Linked Data adds to the table.

Examples:

1. http://bit.ly/170lBPg -- shared Google spreadsheet
2. http://bit.ly/18axeTP -- CSV browser with live links .

Kingsley

> Regards,
> Dave
> --
> http://about.me/david_wood
>

>> On 11 Jun 2013, at 16:56, David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
>> wrote:

>>> I have not heard RDF advocates conflating Linked Data and RDF, but maybe you talk to different RDF advocates than me.
>>>
>>> AFAICT, the vast majority of RDF advocates know that Linked Data is RDF in which URIs are deferenceable to more RDF, but RDF is not necessarily Linked Data, because RDF itself does not require URIs to be dereferenceable.
>>>
>>> David

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com