Re: Licensing advice

On 7/25/13 2:08 PM, Víctor Rodríguez Doncel wrote:

> Indeed, my latest post was rather short-sighted and I find much more
> interesting the disquisitions about "supererogatory Linked Data" or
> the abstracta analysis of "Data and Code and Speech". I wished the
> former was explained a bit more clearly :)
>
> And about the later: If we used computers based on the Harvard
> architecture [1] instead of Von Neumann's [2] we would know what data
> and code are...
>
> Regards,
> Víctor
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_architecture
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_architecture

We might have a simpler example.

## Turtle Notation based Instructions ##

<> a <#Document> .

## Instruction End ##

The instructions above can be used to produce RDF based Linked Data . At
the same time though, the instructions above express an entity
relationship in 3-tuple (or triple) form. Basically, the instruction
above is a valid Datum. If I add one more statement, we have Data and an
additional instruction.

The real problem is that data has been misunderstood and locked in silos
for so long that we no longer recognize what it is :-(

My hope is that Linked Data, via the likes of Turtle Notation,  will
help everyone understand how things went so horribly wrong the moment
programming and programs started to obscure the nature of Data.

Links:

1. http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WhyLisp -- Why Lisp?
2. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=what%20is%20a%20function -- What
is a Function?

Kingsley

> El 25/07/2013 19:59, Víctor Rodríguez Doncel escribió:
>> John, Kingsley,
>>
>> Thanks for the valuable links you've sent.
>>
>> Well, beyond the Pythagorean idea that "the world is made up of
>> numbers", if laws make a distinction Data/Code, so must we. And
>> international laws implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT [1]),
>> which explicitly addresses both in two consecutive articles:
>> *
>> *
>>
>>     */A) /*/*Art4. Computer Programs.*//Computer programs are
>>     protected as literary works within the meaning of Article 2 of
>>     the Berne Convention.[...]/
>>     */B) /*/*Art5. Compilations of Data (Databases).*////Compilations
>>     of data or other material, in any form, which by reason of the
>>     selection or arrangement of their contents constitute
>>     intellectual creations, are protected as such [...]./
>>

>> So Computer Programs are intellectual property works, but Databases
>> are only works if they are "intellectual creations". Yet, in Europe
>> some /sui generis/ rights are recognized even for those databases not
>> qualifying to become works.
>>
>> Thus, I believe Linked Data can be either:
>> a) Fully covered by intellectual property law
>> b) Partially covered, if considered as database.
>> c) Not protected at all.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this has to be analyzed case by case.  My examples:
>> a) An OWL ontology, resulting from a hard work.
>> b) An RDF dataset with the average temperatures of Madrid through the
>> years.
>> c) A RDF mapping automatically obtained by an analysis tool.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Víctor
>>
>> [1] WIPO Copyright Treaty:
>> http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/text.jsp?file_id=295166
>>
>> El 25/07/2013 15:38, Kingsley Idehen escribió:
>>> In my eyes, Data is Code and Code is Data. Turtle and other
>>> (concrete RDF syntaxes) are simply encoding notations (so they are
>>> code).
>>

>> --
>> Víctor Rodríguez-Doncel
>> D3205 - Ontology Engineering Group (OEG)
>> Departamento de Inteligencia Artificial
>> Facultad de Informática
>> Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
>>
>> Campus de Montegancedo s/n
>> Boadilla del Monte-28660 Madrid, Spain
>> Tel. (+34) 91336 3672
>> Skype: vroddon3
>

> --
> Víctor Rodríguez-Doncel
> D3205 - Ontology Engineering Group (OEG)
> Departamento de Inteligencia Artificial
> Facultad de Informática
> Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
>
> Campus de Montegancedo s/n