Re: Licensing advice

John, Kingsley,

Thanks for the valuable links you've sent.

Well, beyond the Pythagorean idea that "the world is made up of
numbers", if laws make a distinction Data/Code, so must we. And
international laws implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT [1]), which
explicitly addresses both in two consecutive articles:
*
*

    */A) /*/*Art4. Computer Programs.*//Computer programs are protected
    as literary works within the meaning of Article 2 of the Berne
    Convention.[...]/
    */B) /*/*Art5. Compilations of Data (Databases).*////Compilations of
    data or other material, in any form, which by reason of the
    selection or arrangement of their contents constitute intellectual
    creations, are protected as such [...]./

So Computer Programs are intellectual property works, but Databases are
only works if they are "intellectual creations". Yet, in Europe some
/sui generis/ rights are recognized even for those databases not
qualifying to become works.

Thus, I believe Linked Data can be either:
a) Fully covered by intellectual property law
b) Partially covered, if considered as database.
c) Not protected at all.

Unfortunately, this has to be analyzed case by case.  My examples:
a) An OWL ontology, resulting from a hard work.
b) An RDF dataset with the average temperatures of Madrid through the years.
c) A RDF mapping automatically obtained by an analysis tool.

Regards,
Víctor

[1] WIPO Copyright Treaty:
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/text.jsp?file_id=295166

--
Víctor Rodríguez-Doncel
D3205 - Ontology Engineering Group (OEG)

Campus de Montegancedo s/n
Boadilla del Monte-28660 Madrid, Spain
Tel. (+34) 91336 3672
Skype: vroddon3