Re: Licensing advice

Barry,

My opinion is the following:

1. *Code license NO*. A computer program is (WIPO): "/a set of
instructions, which controls the operations of a computer in order to
enable it to perform a specific task/"
2. I*ntellectual Property. I'd say no in this case*. Some databases are
protected by IP law. They are if they can assumed to be "/collections of
literary or artistic works such as encyclopaedias and anthologies which,
by reason of the selection and arrangement of their contents, constitute
intellectual creations, are to be protected as such, without prejudice
to the copyright in each of the works forming part of such collections/".
So, if you have made your mapping automatically, they are NOT under the
umbrella of IP laws.
3. *Database law. YES *(where it applies). Relaxing the requirements, a
/sui generis/ rights is defined in Europe to protect your database if
you have made an investment (in time or money) when making the database.
Rights (extraction and reutilization) are kept for 15 years and are not
recognized in USA and many other countries.

--> Conclusion. Instead of using CreativeCommon licenses (excepting CC0
which is ok), use Data Licenses (for example ODC
<http://opendatacommons.org/>), which include in their text a reference
to the European database law.

Regards,
Víctor

--
Víctor Rodríguez-Doncel
D3205 - Ontology Engineering Group (OEG)

Campus de Montegancedo s/n
Boadilla del Monte-28660 Madrid, Spain
Tel. (+34) 91336 3672
Skype: vroddon3