Re: Licensing advice

Hi Barry,

First, the obvious: the MusicBrainz core data is in the Public Domain,
and you can freely publish its transformation as you like, but the
MusicBrainz supplementary data is CC-BY-NC-SA and its transformations
must be shared "alike".

So, if you have created a dataset, this time in RDF, containing the
"user ratings" (supplementary data) in MusicBrainz, you have little
choice: CC-BY-NC-SA. Yet DBpedia requires CC-BY-SA, so in theory this
downgrade would not be acceptable: you should not include in DBpedia any
piece belonging to the "MusicBrainz Supplementary Data".

Next, about the granularity level for licensing: individuals of
rr:TriplesMap look a perfect target to be attributed and licensed. No
individual data -or small pieces, like a single user rating and derived
statistics- receive actually any protection by the law, but by
publishing many of them the collection would be protected. A single
triple pointing to a license (  <myTripleMap> dc:license
<license_of_your_choice>) should suffice.

Finally, I see the question "triples that are created using it" as very
conflictive one. Are those triples transformed versions of the mapping?

Víctor

--
Víctor Rodríguez-Doncel
D3205 - Ontology Engineering Group (OEG)

Campus de Montegancedo s/n
Boadilla del Monte-28660 Madrid, Spain
Tel. (+34) 91336 3672
Skype: vroddon3