Re: Making Your LInked Data Discoverable

On 1/24/13 4:53 AM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> 3. If you have server access and admin level privileges, repeat #2 on the
>> server side using the "Link:" header in HTTP responses .
>> Here's a simple example from DBpedia: http://bit.ly/10wXsXF .
> Note that the "rev" parameter on the Link header is deprecated:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#page-8
>
> Cheers,
>
> L.

With regards to this snippet from [1]:
    The "rev" parameter has been used in the past to indicate that the
    semantics of the relationship are in the reverse direction.  That is,
    a link from A to B with REL="X" expresses the same relationship as a
    link from B to A with REV="X". "rev" is deprecated by this
    specification because it often confuses authors and readers; in most
    cases, using a separate relation type is preferable.

Here is my response to Mark Nottingham (circa. 2010) about this matter
[2]. Basically, if it doesn't produce markup that makes browsers balk,
we (LOD community and practitioners) can simply own it for our specific
purposes. Ultimately, if need be, we make the case for its resurrection
to those who do currently understand its utility.

Links:

1. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#page-8 -- spec note
2. http://www.mail-archive.com/public-lod@w3.org/msg05351.html -- the
case for @rev .