Re: Linked Data Dogfood circa. 2013

On 1/7/13 5:57 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> Thanks Kingsley.

>>> Interesting and useful comment. You used the word - tell me what you mean please.
>>> Best
>>> Hugh
>> As you know, definitions are subjective. If you can define what an Application (in the context of Linked Data consumption) is, I can then attempt to answer your question about specific applications in light of such clarity.
>>
>> Again, I see Linked Data as a stealthy tweak of the Web that basically adds a data space dimension to the initial information space dimension. I am sure you know, I've always seen Linked Data as a mechanism for building on existing technologies associated with:
>>
>> 1. data representation
>> 2. data access
>> 3. data integration
>> 4. data dissemination
>> 5. data management.
> I see that data use or anything like it remains unmentioned.

I consider that as being covered by 2,3,4, and 5.

>> I was asked the other day: what's the ultimate report? My answer was: the report that enables its reader look at the same data from a myriad of perspectives (via in-built pivoting).
>>
>> Linked Data makes the statement above possible, which is why (in my eyes and usage patterns) all applications that are capable of HTTP GETs are bonafide Linked Data consumer applications :-)
> Even with a :-), this suggests to me that there isn't much common understanding that we can discuss.

How do I turn data object identifiers into super keys? Put differently,
how do I reference records in your DBMS (or even better Webby Data
Space) from mine?

When you send me a report [1][2] about whatever, how to I alter the
perspective (context) to suit mine?

>> In an attempt to refocus this thread, I suspect, your point is that we have a dearth of Linked Data support pronunciations aligned to Linked Data consumption -- since the focus always seems to be about new data sets. Am I correct in that assumption, with regards to your main point?
> I think you might be, but I have no idea what meaning of the word "pronunciations" you might have, so I don't understand what you are saying..

I mean: announcements.

> It seems to me that we have reached the end and discovered that you use a completely different language to me.

Beauty of Linked Data and Semantics is that we can work around label
level confusion and get to the meat of the matter :-)

> So I'll do the list a favour and withdraw - thanks for the interaction.

What is your definition of an Application, that's all I need from you.
Then I can respond to your question re. list of Linked Data consumer
applications (or whatever else it is you feel we are currently lacking
on the consumer side).

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/13e0289 -- one report
2. http://bit.ly/XeUCqd -- same report but different data source (all I
did was change the host name part of the report URL)
3. http://bit.ly/WosrCk -- different view (maybe I want a break down by
Industry)
4. http://bit.ly/TXziol -- ditto, in this case I want the industry
breakdown from a different data source.

Note: There's a SPARQL link that enables you alter the query or change
the output formats. For instance, you might want the report in CSV
format for easy import into existing tools like Google Spreadsheet,
Excel, Open Office etc..

That's 1-5 in a nutshell :-)

Kingsley