Re: A Distributed Economy -- A blog involving Linked Data

On 1/7/13 12:35 PM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Hello Kingsley,
>
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:22:48PM -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> I am seriously proposing they publish Turtle documents to the Web :-)
> [...]
>> Try it out with your kids, family members, and friends outside the
>> Semantic Web and Linked Data communities you'll have an amazing amount
>> of fun when you open up the documents via a Turtle processor (many of
>> which are browser extensions) [1], especially when you cross reference
>> to DBpedia, FOAF etc..
> Why should anyone who did not miss Mosaic and everything after it have fun
> with this ?

I can't answer that question until you try it out. That's said, here's
an attempt bearing in mind my opening comment:

The interconnected issues at hand are as follows:

1. data representation
2. data access & connectivity
3. data integration
4. data dissemination
5. data indexing and querying -- crux of what's covered by data management.

HTML simplified the above, but for the information space dimension of
the Web i.e., the Document (or Blurb) Web.
RSS/Atom simplified the above re.,  the general desire to rapidly
produce and share content on the Web without requiring the author to use
HTML.
RDF/XML attempted to address 1-5 (for structured data) but failed
woefully by choosing XML -- the triple was mangled in XML that just
doesn't work for humans (and the machine pitch was a broken cop out).

Turtle fixes what RDF/XML broke. It provides a very simple mechanism for
constructing and understanding digital sentences (comprised of
subject->predicate->object or subject->verb-object triples) that serve
1-5 with aplomb.

All that's missing is for everyone to (maybe) read or re-read the Clay
Shirky article [1] I published earlier, it does a fantastic job of
explaining the fundamentals of Web bootstrap.

Linked Data is just another aspect of the Web. Turtle is an effective
syntax for taking Webby structured data (re. points 1-5 above) to the
masses.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/XAyU3F -- understanding the Web bootstrap (which also
applies to Linked Data and other Web dimensions of the future).

Kingsley

> Regards,
>
> Michael Brunnbauer

Founder & CEO